10,000 reasons to celebrate – thanks to Jane’s Appeal
Charitable projects across Burnley are celebrating a cash boost after receiving grants in the Jane Tomlinson Appeal Big Charity Giveaway.
Twenty one organisations are being given donations totalling £10,000 at a presentation ceremony at the town's Mechanics Theatre today.
The cheques were handed over by Jeff Brown, the face of Safestyle Windows' famous TV adverts, who raised the magnificent sum in last year's inaugural Asda Foundation Pennine Lancashire 10K, organised by Jane Tomlinson's Run For All.
Jeff lost over 7 stone in weight to take on the run after accepting a challenge thrown down by Lancashire firm Premier Range, which pledged to donate £10,000 to the Jane Tomlinson Appeal if he completed the race. A triumphant Jeff crossed the finishing line in 1hr 37mins and the appeal decided to distribute the money to good causes in the Burnley area.
Organisations with charitable status were invited to make bids for a share of the cash pot to support one of their projects.
A five-strong panel including Jeff and representatives of the Burnley Express, Burnley Borough Council, Run For All and Jane Tomlinson Appeal carefully assessed all the applications before choosing which organisations to support.
Siobhan Curtis, Jane Tomlinson Appeal legacy manager, said: "We were delighted at what Jeff achieved in taking on the challenge and it is entirely fitting that so many good causes in Burnley are receiving a share of the £10,000 to support their excellent work."
It is entirely fitting that so many good causes in Burnley are receiving a share of the £10,000 to support their excellent work.Siobhan Curtis, Jane Tomlinson Appeal legacy manager
The organisations awarded grants were:
- Macular Society - £400
- Greenbrook Methodist Chruch - £250
- Pendle Dogs in Needs - £250
- Girl Guiding Burnley - £500
- 352 Burnley Air Cadets - £550
- Rosehill Baptist Church - £400
- Burnley Tornados American Football - £425
- St Cuthbert's Church - £750
- League OF Voluntary Workers - £250
- Cliviger Village Hall - £500
- Burnley Methodist Church - £500
- The Princes Trust - £250
- Burnley Prostate Cancer Scanner Appeal -£1000
- Furniture for Education Worldwide - £250
- Rossendale & Pendle Mountain Rescue - £750
- Catholic Fellowship for the Handicapped- £725
- East Lancashire People First - £250
- British Red Cross - £250
- 1st Brierchliffe St James Scout Group - £1000
- Emmaus Burnley - £250
- Dyneley Group Riding for the Disabled - £500
The streets of Burnley will come alive again on June 22nd when 2,500 people take part in the second Asda Foundation Pennine Lancashire 10K. For full details and to enter go to www.runforall.com
It's the event you've all been waiting for... the highlight of the Leeds sporting calendar... Back by huge demand...
Paula Radcliffe MBE is to be a become a Jane Tomlinson Appeal patron and will run the Leeds 10K on July 4th. The British running legend is world record holder for marathon, 20K and 10K road runs.